Take advantage of this unique opportunity
To find out more, send an enquiry and one of our advisors will be in touch. We’ll also send you a shareable executive summary outlining the key details of the investment opportunity.
UK railways are entering a new golden age.
National rail infrastructure is currently estimated to be worth £88 billion. Rail operators will invest more than £35 billion in new services and equipment over the next 15 years – a supply chain expansion of 140%.
Watch Caitlin Gent outline the investment opportunities in UK rail.
Reasons to invest in rail include:
Upgrading rolling stock
Rolling stock in the UK is more than 25 years old on average, so there is an urgent need to update equipment. UK rail operators will procure £35 billion of new equipment and services over the next 15 years
The UK currently imports over £600 million worth of rolling stock from outside the EU alone, providing a significant market opportunity
Major rail projects
Several major rail projects are underway in the UK. These include HS2, Europe’s largest infrastructure project, Crossrail and Transport for the North. These projects represent a vast supply chain opportunity for rail component producers
Doncaster: a place to grow your business
The home of UK high-speed rail, Doncaster is also at the centre of developing the next generation of rail travel and rolling stock. Companies based in Doncaster benefit from easy access to the rail industry and investment and other opportunities including:
An established rail base
- a major part of the local economy for more than 150 years
- a highly integrated supply chain, well connected infrastructure and more than 50 rail companies located here
Skills and research
- access to an 8,000-strong highly skilled rail workforce
- home to world-class research centres and academic institutions such as The Centre of Innovation in Rail, The Institute for Railway Research, the National College of High Speed Rail, the Rail Innovation and Technology Centre, The University of Huddersfield
Access and logistics
- centrally located in the UK, with excellent access to the £80 billion-plus opportunities in the nearby continental markets
- unrivalled specialised logistics and infrastructure, including iPortrail, an intermodal freight hub creating local, national and international supply chains
These opportunities are enhanced by being:
- competitive labour costs
- cost of industrial property
- utilities costs
Supported by government
- visas and migration
- skills advice
- financial advice
- recruitment support
- access to funding
- access to academic institutions
The home of UK high-speed rail, Doncaster is also at the centre of developing the next generation of rail travel and rolling stock. Companies based here benefit from easy access to the rail industry and the investment opportunities it offers.
Join companies who are already capitalising on the region’s rare opportunity.
Hitachi Rail Europe
A global provider of total railway solutions, Hitachi Rail Europe has invested over £80 million in its Doncaster rail facility. The company has announced the creation of 250 new jobs to maintain and upgrade rolling stock in the UK to cater for growing demand.
Austrian-Swiss railway engineering provider set up its UK head office in Doncaster in 2014. The company had to recruit additional staff following an increase in demand for its services just weeks after opening.
Headquartered in Doncaster, Unipart Rail supplies over 70,000 rail products and installation materials. The site now employs over 400 people.
Wabtec Rail, part of Wabtec Corporation, a leading US supplier of products and services for the rail industry has its UK base in Doncaster. The site now employs over 1,000 more people and the firm is investing to increase site capacity by 30% to meet demand.