This is a beta service - your feedback will help us improve it.
Advanced manufacturing: grow your business in the UK
- 74.5 million GBP of investment in high value manufacturing projects
- 80 billion Euro worth of funding for research and development between 2014-2020
- set to grow in 3D printing, composites, sensors and data analytics
168 billion GBP
contributed to UK economy
There are over 100,000 advanced manufacturing companies in the UK, employing 2.7 million people. We’re placed 9th in the global economy for advanced manufacturing.
Between 2005 and 2015, manufacturing productivity grew 3 times faster than the rest of the UK’s economy as a whole. Research and development totals 13.5 billion GBP every year - almost 70% of the total spend across all industries.
The UK has strengths in areas including:
- marine engineering
- space and satellites
- defence foreign direct investment (FDI)
- data analytics and cloud computing
Composites UK’s strategy for delivering growth has identified opportunities for composites manufacturing increasing from 2 billion GBP to 12 billion GBP by 2030. There are also opportunities in the servicing, manufacturing and installation of automated technologies.
The UK has a strong engineering supply chain for several industries, such as automotive, aerospace, rail, infrastructure and energy projects.
Key strengths include:
- engineering factory equipment and specialist materials
- high value Catapult R&D centres in Scotland, North of England, The Midlands and South of England
- centres for research into materials, polymers and coatings in Wales and Northern Ireland
- the manufacturing of components for key infrastructure projects, such as renewable energy engineering in the North of England, South of England and rail engineering in The Midlands
We can help you grow your business in the UK
Whether you’ve already decided to grow your business here or you’re just starting your research, the UK government can help you make the right decision.
Research your industry
You should research your market to help you decide if the UK is the best place for your business. Contact our Investment Services Team to get market research and other expert help and advice.
Want to move your business to the UK?
You’ll need to follow several steps before moving to the UK, including applying for visas and finding the ideal location for your business. Read our UK setup guide.
The UK government can give you free help and support every step of the way. Contact us to find out more.