Financial services: grow your business in the UK
- leading global net exporter of financial services
- more international banks than anywhere else
- strengths in fintech, insurance and capital markets
UK financial services: at a glance
Our position at the heart of the global financial community is one of the reasons that so many international companies choose the UK to expand their business.
Many of the world’s leading investment houses and financial institutions are based here. London is recognised globally for its flexible, principled approach to regulating its capital markets.
London topped every category in the Global Financial Centres Index 20 compiled by Z/Yen in the September 2016 group - ahead of New York, Singapore and Hong Kong.
The index showed that London has the:
- best business environment
- most developed financial centre
- most impressive infrastructure
- best human capital
- top overall reputation
The UK’s key strengths in financial services include:
- insurance - London is the biggest insurance market, followed by cities like Manchester and Liverpool in North of England, Norwich in South of England, and The Midlands
- capital markets - the London Stock Exchange is the second biggest in the world
- banking - London hosts over 250 foreign banks, while Edinburgh in Scotland, Manchester and Chester in North of England, and The Midlands offer key clusters for bank headquarters
- fintech - the ecosystem includes cities like Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool in North of England, Edinburgh in Scotland, and London
- asset management - strong cities include London, Scotland and Bristol in South of England
We can help you grow your business in the UK
Whether you’ve already decided to grow your business here or you’re just starting your research, the UK government can help you make the right decision.
Research your industry
You should research your market to help you decide if the UK is the best place for your business. Contact our Investment Services Team to get market research and other expert help and advice.
Want to move your business to the UK?
You’ll need to follow several steps before moving to the UK, including applying for visas and finding the ideal location for your business. Read our UK setup guide.
The UK government can give you free help and support every step of the way. Contact us to find out more.