Technology: grow your business in the UK
- 30 significant technology clusters across the UK
- strongest venture capital environment in Europe for creating 'unicorn' companies (technology startups valued at over 1 billion USD)
- largest e-commerce market in Europe
UK technology: at a glance
Technology businesses are at the heart of the UK economy and are playing an important role in driving growth across the country, from financial services and high-value manufacturing to retail and agriculture.
The UK offers an outstanding environment for global technology companies. We have:
- a strong start-up culture bolstered by technology clusters all over the UK
- a ranking of fifth best place in the world in the Global Innovation Index in 2016
- 4 of the world’s top 10 universities, plus educational providers that develop our technology workforce
The UK's technology economy has strengths in electronic systems, communications, data management and analytics, data centres, cloud services, artificial intelligence, cyber, semiconductor design and sensors.
The UK’s key strengths in technology include:
- data networks - including data centres in North and South England and Wales
- smart cities - including piloting low carbon technology in Glasgow and the internet of things in Manchester
- cyber security - key locations in South England, Northern Ireland and Wales
- fintech - with strong clusters in London, North England, Northern Ireland and Scotland
- digital content production, such as gaming, publishing and film - see our creative industries page
- component manufacturing - this includes microelectronics in Scotland, semiconductor technology in Wales, and mobile networks and satellites across the UK
We can help you grow your business in the UK
Whether you’ve already decided to grow your business here or you’re just starting your research, the UK government can help you make the right decision.
Research your industry
You should research your market to help you decide if the UK is the best place for your business. Contact our Investment Services Team to get market research and other expert help and advice.
Want to move your business to the UK?
You’ll need to follow several steps before moving to the UK, including applying for visas and finding the ideal location for your business. Read our UK setup guide.
The UK government can give you free help and support every step of the way. Contact us to find out more.