This is a beta service - your feedback will help us improve it.
Scotland is 1 of the four nations of the UK and the third most popular destination for international companies entering the UK.
Major cities in Scotland include Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness.
Scotland also attracts more foreign investment than any part of the UK outside London, with 122 foreign investment projects in 2016.
There are also almost 4,000 foreign firms (with a combined turnover of 100 billion GBP) based here, including Blackrock, JP Morgan, Mitsubishi and Atos. (EY Attractiveness Survey 2017)
Scotland provides strong incentives to investors, including:
- grants for eligible investors supporting capital and salary costs
- research grants for eligible investors, worth up to 100,000 GBP for feasibility studies and up to 600,000 GBP for research and development
- help for small and medium enterprises in accessing finance
- co-investment from the Scottish Investment Bank
- support from Scottish Development International, helping you to identify opportunities, premises and to access funding (Scottish Development International 2017)
It’s up to 40% more cost effective to locate in Scotland than in the most expensive areas of the UK. (Financial Times, FDI Benchmark Tool 2015)
Investors in Scotland benefit from a strong skills and research base, including:
5 universities in the world’s top 200 (Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Dundee, Aberdeen) (Times Higher Education, World University Rankings 2017)
18 universities in total, the highest concentration of universities in any region of Europe (Scottish Development International 2017)
Transport options in Scotland include:
- 5 international airports, connecting you to London in only one hour and many major European cities in 2 hours
- trains connecting Edinburgh and Glasgow in under an hour, and getting you to London in under 5 hours
- major motorway roads connecting Scotland with England
- a freight ferry service connecting Scotland with northern Europe
(Scottish Development International 2017)
There are a number of regeneration projects in Scotland. If you’re looking to invest in infrastructure or find facilities for your business, this could be the ideal location for you. Find out more about opportunities in Scotland